Dustin's Best of 2017, #18: Nothington - 'In the End'

Every year, without fail, I start listening to a new album by a band I've known about for awhile, but never cared enough for to call myself a fan. Previous acts to win me over a couple of albums into their careers include Elway (with 2015's Better Whenever), The Menzingers (in 2012 with the release of On the Impossible Past) and Samiam (2011's Trips was a fantastic album and I believe it to easily be one of their top 3 albums).

In keeping up with tradition, 2017's "hey I'm a fan of these guys now" artist is Nothington. I saw Nothington play with Teenage Bottlerocket and Masked Intruder back in 2012 and I felt like they were the odd band out on the bill. Their music seemed like it was right up my alley (Gruff vocals with a southern twang? Get me a flannel and a PBR, stat!), but I didn't really care much for the songs that I listened to later when I got home. To be fair, in 2012 I had already fulfilled my Fest-approved punk quota with The Menzingers, Brendan Kelly & the Wandering Birds, and The Gaslight Anthem, while also trying to justify my love for modern Green Day, so I wasn't exactly trying to get into any new bands.

January 2017 was lacking in a new releases that I was interested in (both of the new albums by AFI and Dropkick Murphys held my attention for maybe 2 or 3 listens each), so I was aching for new music. When February rolled around I jumped at every song and album Spotify's discover had to offer- and Spotify was particularly pushing the track "Cobblestones" hard, and after hearing it I decided it was a good time to give Nothington another shot. And I'm sure glad I did- In the End is exactly what I want in a modern punk album: Sing-along choruses and lyrics that touch upon self-reflection, acceptance, regret, and loathing. The songs aren't as twangy as I remember the band being, but the record has a nice, consistent sound and it kind of parallels the trajectory that Off With Their Heads' discography has taken (I'm hesitant to call it "polished" but go listen to Hospitals and then listen to Home and you'll know what I'm talking about).

Maybe it's just because I listened to this album a lot during my cold walks home at 2am, but this is the type of stuff that warms my heart.

You can stream In the End below. Recommended tracks: Cobblestones, Burn After Reading, Nothing But Beaches, It Comes and Goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'