Dustin's Best of 2017, #15: AJJ - 'Back in the Jazz Coffin'

I'm a sucker for pretty much everything AJJ puts out. I was on vacation when they released Back in the Jazz Coffin (with nearly zero announcements about it beforehand) and the moment I was able to connect to the internet I went ahead and bought it. It's short, it's sweet, it's sad, and it's basically what I was hoping for from AJJ.

Unlike pretty much everything they've recorded since Can't Maintain, the songs on Back in the Jazz Coffin are largely performed by the core duo of Sean and Ben. But it's not some kind of attempt to recapture the glory days of People Who Can Eat People... (although the timing of its release did come right before AJJ embarked on their People Who Can Eat People... tour, so perhaps while not a "back to basics" release, it's at the very least an homage to that period of the band's history) this is most definitely a modern day AJJ release. It's just simply recorded by two members of the band rather than the full line up.

Even though when I reviewed Back in the Jazz Coffin for Dying Scene I went on record as saying it wasn't exactly an essential listen when it comes to the band's overall discography, I also think that it made for an essential listen to my year.

Listen to Back in the Jazz Coffin below.

Recommended tracks: "American Body Rentals," "Border Patrol (Yuma)," "Fuckboi"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'