Dustin's Best of 2017, #9: Sincere Engineer - 'Rhombithian'

I fell in love with Sincere Engineer and Rhombithian while laying down on a hotel bed at Disney World while there for a wedding. Of course, I would have fallen in love with it regardless of where I was when I first listened to it, but I think where I was, both physically and mentally, is vital to just how much the album spoke to me at that time. Unlike a lot of my favorite songs about broken hearts and breakups, I find Sincere Engineer's songs to be... I wouldn't say optimistic, because saying something like "what am I supposed to do now / when you're still not around?" or "The rejection still kind of hurt / not as much as the one from you though" is far from optimistic, but there's something in the music that I find hopeful. Or maybe it was because I was feeling hopeful at the time... I was at a wedding, after all, but I also had stayed out until 3am having a really nice conversation with a friend the day before and all of it together had put me in a really good place.

Anyway, as I was laying there in the dark, turning up the volume so that I could drown out the sounds of snoring coming from the bed next to mine, and then down again because I didn't want to listen too loudly, something inside me clicked and I knew that this album was going to be special to me. And even though I've been all over the place since that moment I first hit play, I still have the memory of the mindset I was in when I listen to Rhombithian.

I liked this album so much that I even recorded a cover of "Overbite" for fun. This is the only album on my list that I can say that about. EDIT: This was a lie. I also recorded a cover of "Charlie's Army" by The Menzingers. I'm so sorry to mislead you like that.

You can listen to Rhombithian below.

Recommended tracks: "Corn Dog Sonnet No. 7," "Ceramic Tile," "Overbite," "1K Rats," "Candle Wax," "Keep You Company"




And for good measure, here's the cover I recorded:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'