Dustin's Best of 2017, #16: Worriers - 'Survival Pop'

Let me get this out of the way: I didn't listen to Survival Pop as much as I wanted to this year. I was excited to get to listen to new music from Worriers, and I loved that I got to see them live at least once this year after failing to make it to their shows a few times in a row. That said, Survival Pop came out at a point in the year where I was struggling with a lot of personal demons and, even though these songs would have been exactly what I needed at the time, it didn't find its way at the top of my playlists very often.

So how then, exactly, did it end up as one of my favorite albums of the year? I may not have listened to it a lot, but that doesn't mean I didn't listen to it at all. I never got around to making an emotional connection to this record (as I'm sure I will as time goes on), but that didn't stop the songs from worming their way into my head. I'd often find myself humming melodies from various songs, particularly in November, and that's when it occurred to me that maybe I did like the songs even if I didn't know any of the words. (Okay, okay... I knew a few choruses here and there.)

It seems silly, but any album that can stick with me like that surely sticks in my mind as one of my favorites. After the year I've had, I take what I can get.

Stream Survival Pop below. Recommended tracks: "Not Your Type," "The Possibility," "Gaslighter," "Self Esteemed," "WTF Is Sleep?"


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'