My favorite songs of 2017: Part 3

Here it is, my third and final mix of my favorite songs from 2017 (For now anyway).

Whereas the first mix was mostly energetic songs about feeling beaten down or not being good enough, and the second mix was primarily mid-tempo or acoustic songs about feeling beaten down or missing people and places, this one kind of breaks that narrative, and is all over the place.

Sure, I start this mix with Kamikaze Girls' "I Don't Want to Be Sad Forever" which sets a bit of a downer tone. Then chorus of Cayetana's "Too Old for This" describes how I felt for essentially the entire month of September, and then again in December (for the uninitiated, the chorus is "I don't want to think about this or you anymore"), and of course, "Leaving" by Freya Wilcox is a real doozy. But this mix also has some of the heaviest songs in terms of pure sound and aggression (PEARS, Limp Wrist, and Direct Hit! all in a row), to the point where I wasn't sure if I could make them fit into any of my mixes organically.

And, to top it off, there are also a bunch of songs from albums that I really wanted to like but got lost in the shuffle of having so many things going on (Hard Girls, Blondie, The Flatliners, Great Cynics, and the aforementioned Kamikaze Girls). The whole albums might not have stuck, but at the very least these are the songs that left strong impressions on me.

Anyway, here's the last of my 2017 mixes, which I'm calling I'm Not Finished Yet. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Cheer Up'