CDs Revisited: Gatsby's American Dream - 'Why We Fight'

via Discogs
100% transparency here: I don't think I've ever listened to Why We Fight in full until right now, for the purposes of discussing this album for this blog. I know that I came across it somewhere on the internet after I had bought Volcano and I was excited by the idea of downloading it because it was an unknown album by an unknown band. Then I burned a copy of it just to make sure I never lost these tracks.

Listening to it now... well, I can see why I don't remember listening to it. I can't say that I've ever been completely sold on Gatsby's American Dream- I know that I really liked that they would drop references to anything from literature to video games to movies, and conceptually I think they had some good ideas but I don't think those ideas ever really translated well into the music. There's definitely hints of what was to come on later albums like Volcano and their self-titled album, but overall Why We Fight isn't all that compelling to me.

I don't think I'll ever need to re-listen to this one again, but if you're so inclined you can stream it via YouTube here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'