My taste in music sucks. (AKA, Intro to the Blog and laying down some ground rules)

It's true: I have some terrible taste in music. Kind of. I've come to terms with it. Mostly.

Anyway, this blog is all about the music I collected throughout middle school, high school, and college. Some of it is great, and some of it is pure garbage. Some of it I still currently listen to 10+ years later, and some of it I haven't thought about in years. The stuff I still listen to isn't necessarily the great stuff, and similarly the stuff I haven't touched isn't necessarily the crap.

Two and a half things directly led to the creation of this blog:

1. Going through my CD collection and realizing how much my tastes have changed while also staying exactly the same since I was 13.

2. My desire to start writing about music again (in spite of the fact that I did it for years and never learned how to either build an audience nor learned how to make any money off of it)

2.5. My desire to create some kind of content and my self loathing finding a middle ground in which I can still create something while also making fun of myself for it.

Here's my goal: to use this blog to go through all 200+ CDs, giving each one its own post. It will kind of be like album reviews, though I might wind up reflecting on what the album meant to me back when I got it vs. how I feel about it now, or confusion about how it ended up in my collection in the first place. I'm kind of making this up as I go along and haven't really thought past the initial "Let me start a project that's going to require lots of personal investment without much payoff."

I don't have a particular end date in mind, and once I wrap up my CD collection (which, full disclosure, includes both CDs that I bought and CD-Rs that I received during music swaps with my friends), I might move on to my digital collection which, thanks to various digital distribution outlets, is pretty spread out.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, let's just focus on my terrible tastes from high school.

Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'