CDs Revisited: The Colour - 'Devil's Got a Holda Me'

I listened to this EP a total of maybe three times after I bought it. I kind of remembered the hook from the title track, but other than that the only thing that really stuck out to me was that it was dirt cheap. Even listening to it now, nothing stands out as particularly memorable. The title track pays homage to Led Zeppelin, but it feels less like "hey, this is a tribute to one of our favorite bands" and more of a cheap stunt to flaunt their influences.

I guess it should be noted that the CD case (as well as most places online like Spotify and Discogs) states that the EP is a "prelude to Between the Earth and Sky," which, as it turns out, was the band's debut (and only) full length album. I have never listened to the LP, and after re-listening to this EP I think it's safe to say that I won't check it out any time soon.

For something so forgettable, I have quite a few memories attached to buying this EP. It was summer 2005, my junior year of high school had just ended and I was at Sounds on St. Mark's looking for some new music (I recall Rise Against's Siren Song of the Counter-Culture was on heavy rotation in my discman at that time). As I said, I got Devil's Got a Holda Me for dirt cheap, though I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it. I do remember buying it alongside Acceptance's Phantoms, Gatsby's American Dream's Volcano, and a promotional sampler for Agnostic Front's Another Voice. It was an experimental time. (For the record, other than Volcano none of those albums had much replay value to me, and even that one dropped out of my regular listening habits by the time school picked back up.)

Anyway, it's funny to me that I can remember so many details surrounding buying an EP that I don't remember anything about. It was a pretty memorable summer, even if its soundtrack was lacking.

Final verdict: Boring. I'm glad that between the garage rock revival and new wave revival that bands that took their love for classic rock too far never made the same kinds of waves (I guess The Darkness had some success, but they also didn't take themselves seriously which gave them an appeal).

You can stream it below via Spotify to tell me how wrong I am, or if you feel so inclined you can check it out on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CDs Revisited: Sum 41 - 'Half Hour of Power'

CDs Revisited: Sugarcult - 'Back to the Disaster'

CDs Revisited: Reel Big Fish - 'Why Do They Rock So Hard?'